Friday 18 April 2014

My Spring Break TBR!

First of all, yes I am aware how grossly late our spring break is this year. I am also painfully aware that our school is about the only one in our province that is not leaving today on some super awesome international adventure (*cries*). That being said, I am looking forward to a ten day break from school, to catch up on some reading, some much needed sleep, and to focus on getting this blog up and running. My current plan is to make a post everyday of break, excluding the two days I will be out of town. 

The two books I am for sure reading over spring break are:

1. Looking for Alaska by John Green

Goodreads description: 
Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter's whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" (François Rabelais, poet) even more. He heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same
.

This will be my first time reading a book by John Green, and I am SO excited about it! I, as well as everyone else on the planet, have heard endless praise for John Green's writing, so I can't wait to finally see what all the fuss is about! Of course I intend to review this book as soon as I finish it. If anyone has read this already please do leave a comment below and tell me what you thought of it.


2. Impulse by Ellen Hopkins

Goodreads description:

Sometimes you don't wake up. But if you happen to, you know things will never be the same.

Three lives, three different paths to the same destination: Aspen Springs, a psychiatric hospital for those who have attempted the ultimate act -- suicide.

Vanessa is beautiful and smart, but her secrets keep her answering the call of the blade.

Tony, after suffering a painful childhood, can only find peace through pills.

And Conner, outwardly, has the perfect life. But dig a little deeper and find a boy who is in constant battle with his parents, his life, himself.

In one instant each of these young people decided enough was enough. They grabbed the blade, the bottle, the gun -- and tried to end it all. Now they have a second chance, and just maybe, with each other's help, they can find their way to a better life -- but only if they're strong and can fight the demons that brought them here in the first place.

I've just finished reading and reviewing Glass by this amazing author, and gave it 5/5 stars in my review which you can find here: http://with-sugar.blogspot.ca/2014/04/book-review-glass-by-ellen-hopkins.html . I've really enjoyed the two books I've read by Hopkins thus far (I think it's awesome that she writes in verse) and I can't wait to read another. Hopefully it will live up to the high expectations I have for it - if anyone has read this already I would love to hear how you felt about it, or about other books by this author. 



I know that two books in ten days doesn't seem like much, especially given how short Looking for Alaska seems to be, but I am going to be super super busy with blog posts, Easter festivities and such. Also, I am planning to purchase a few new books next week and would like to read at least one of those before continuing with the books on my shelf.


Thank you to everyone who has been reading my posts, please feel free to comment on them, as well as share them with others. I'm new to the blogging community so if you like what you see here please spread the word.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Good Friday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment